Creating the Next Generation of Equity-Centered School Leaders
Comprehensive Assessment of Leadership Learning-Equity Centered Leadership (CALL-ECL) Project
The CALL-ECL Equity-Centered Principal Pipeline Initiative project will study urban school district efforts to prepare equity-centered school leaders. The project will document the development of principal development pipelines, trace the growth of professional networks, and develop data tools to support the practices of equity-centered leaders in schools.
- The CALL-ECL research project is a 6-year effort to document district efforts to create equity-centered principal pipelines. Our nation is faced with a challenge of creating more equitable schools for students and families. In 2021, the Wallace Foundation launched an ambitious program Equity-Centered Pipeline Initiative (ECPI) to support the development of equity-centered school leaders in eight urban districts. We know that school leadership matters for the improvement of student learning and growth; and the Wallace ECPI initiative focuses on how leaders can be prepared to create more equitable schools.
- How do districts develop and use networks to support principal development pipelines?
- How do districts design and implement equity-centered principal pipelines?
- What practices guide the work of equity-centered principals?
- How can we measure and support equity-centered school leadership practices?
- How can we design a process to measure the effects of equity-centered leadership preparation programs?
The CALL-ECL study will have five key parts:
The Network Study will trace the growth of professional networks across the districts and national partners throughout the pipeline development process;
The District Theory of Action Study will track the development of the equity-centered pipeline programs in each ECPI district from the initial theory of action through program implementation;
The School-level Study will seek to document what equity centered leadership practice looks like in schools;
The Instrumentation Study will build information tools, based on CALL, to develop practice-based information tools that support equity-centered school leaders; and
The Efficacy Study will design and propose a study to measure the impact of equity-centered leadership in schools.
The Comprehensive Assessment of Leadership for Learning - Equity-Centered Leadership (CALL-ECL) Tool
CALL-ECL brings a team of nationally recognized researchers with expertise in school leadership, equity, improvement, research and instrument design and data analytics to inform and support high-quality principal preparation programs.
The Wallace ECPI project features eight large urban school districts that have expressed strong support for improving equity-centered school leadership development pipelines.